Possible MRS Links
ReachOUT is a brand new organization for the LGBT community and its allies. We are a diverse group that comes together on a regular basis to do good things for the areas in which we live. You may find us preparing meals for the homeless, building homes for needy families, or beautifying local parks. While the projects may vary from month to month, they will always be focused on making a positive difference in the world while having a great time.
There are families in need of a house, people in need of meals, and communities in need of assistance keeping their parks beautiful. Some projects may require early mornings or late evenings. Some projects may bump up against your comfort zone. But all the projects will be rewarding and fun ways to meet new people while serving others.
- September 11, 2014 9/11 DAY OF SERVICE
- June 30, 2014 RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE DINNER
- June 21, 2014 HABITAT FOR HUMANITY BUILD DAY
- June 14, 2014 RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE BRUNCH
- June 8, 2014 FARM TO FORK PICNIC SETUP
- May 31, 2014 BILTMORE HILLS CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND BEAUTIFICATION
- April 14, 2014 DINNER AT RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE
Wilderness Network of the Carolinas (WNC)
WNC is a loose-knit network of gay men and women who enjoy adventurous outdoors activities. The membership primarily is scattered across North Carolina and South Carolina, but there are members in Georgia and Virginia as well; ages vary from the 20s to 50s. Trips have included (day or multiple day) hikes, backpacking, canoeing, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, camping, and B&B weekends.
Trip destinations are in the western half of North Carolina as often as in any other one area, largely because that’s where the largest tracts of public land are located. There are also popular trips in the low-country areas of North and South Carolina as well as the Piedmont. Typically, every couple of years, a member has led a trip to areas farther afield--places like Alaska, Utah, Wyoming, the Everglades, or even the Virgin Islands. Nearby trips tend to be one- or two-day affairs; long-distance trips tend to be several days long. On average, there is an activity somewhere about once every 4 to 6 weeks during the more pleasant months of the year.
Some Past Trips:
- September 27, 2014 Bike Trip on the American Tobacco Trail, Durham
- August 31, 2014 Kayak Trip on the New River
- July 12-13 2014 Sam Knob Area Backpacking Trip, Blue Ridge Parkway
- June 22, 2014 New River Bike Trip
- May 3 2014 Battle Park Tour and New Hope Creek Day Hike, Chapel Hill
- April 12-13 2014 Waterfall/Camping Weekend in Stone Mountain State Park, GA
- August 2009, Chilkoot Trail Backpack Trip, Alaska
- October 2007, Shackleford Banks NC